About the GIX Consortium
The GIX Consortium is a membership-based program for that helps companies, non-profits, and government organizations engage deeply with the Global Innovation Exchange. Read on to learn more about membership and its benefits.
Patrick Flickinger, Microsoft AI for Good
Consortium membership packages vary by level and may include the following benefits:
- Sponsorship of a six-month long capstone-like Launch Project with a 3-4 student team at the Master’s degree level .
- Membership in the GIX Prototyping Labs, which provides access to the tools and technologies for rapid prototyping and development of your hardware and software solutions.
- Co-development and delivery of professional learning programs to meet your organization’s skill-building needs.
- Priority access to recruit outstanding students from GIX programs.
- Consulting opportunities with faculty the University of Washington, Tsinghua University, and other partner universities.
- Opportunity to meet and connect with other tech leaders and directors looking to transform their companies and teams.
- Sponsorship and advertising opportunities at special events like the GIX Innovation Competition.
- Discounts on space and professional learning program registrations.
Contact Sean Carr, CEO and Executive Director of the Global Innovation Exchange, to learn more about membership.
The GIX Difference
What differentiates this program from other opportunities to work with faculty and students through internships or industry affiliates programs?
- We’re embedded in the Seattle innovation ecosystem, and connected to a global network of academic universities and companies.
- Our graduate degree programs provide truly interdisciplinary training, with an emphasis on experiential, project-based learning, not just theory.
- Our students are exceptional collaborators– they are experienced in working across different backgrounds, skillsets, and cultures; knowledgeable about project management and team dynamics; and eager to tackle technical challenges with a team. They are looking for interdisciplinary work.
- You can engage in a variety of ways that meet the current needs of your company or team.
Partnering with a Launch Project Team
Many members choose to leverage faculty expertise and student knowledge of cutting edge-technologies to advance a project or address a real challenge facing their organization by sponsoring a Launch Project. Past member projects addressed problems related to health, safety, clean energy and emissions, connectivity, navigation, acoustics, agricultural technology, and more.
Sponsoring and mentoring a student project team is a cost-effective way to explore a problem area while working with bright, masters-level minds who will soon be available for employment. GIX graduate students work alongside mentors from your organization to apply the design thinking, hardware and software development, and business skills they learn in the MS in Technology Innovation degree curriculum to tackle your real-world problems.
Vulcan, Inc. Launch Project: Improving Human Communication with Technology
Get a glimpse into a recent Vulcan, Inc. launch project that aimed to improve the experience of doctor-patient communications for autistic adults. Students in the MSTI program worked with mentors and engineers to develop a real-time emotion analysis system to help people with autism become more aware of the emotions of those with whom they are speaking.
The launch project format gives students the ability to learn from industry professionals, and brings fresh student perspectives and talent to bear on challenging problems.
2021-2022 Consortium Members
Microsoft is a founding partner of GIX whose mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
T-Mobile is a leading provider of wireless communications dedicated to delivering outstanding experiences.
Vulcan, Inc. was created by Microsoft co-founder Paul G. Allen and works to be catalysts for change.
2021-2022 Project Partners
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) manages state trust lands for the people of Washington. DNR manages 5.6 million acres of forest, range, agricultural, aquatic, and commercial lands for more than $200 million in annual financial benefit for public schools, state institutions, and county services.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
NOAA is an agency that enriches life through science. Our reach goes from the surface of the sun to the depths of the ocean floor as we work to keep the public informed of the changing environment around them.
Fetch Robotics provides the market’s only cloud-driven Autonomous Mobile Robot (AMR) solution that addresses material handling and data collection for warehousing and intralogistics environments. Fetch Robotics’ AMRs reduce costs and improve throughput, efficiency, and productivity, while working alongside people.
Kinova is a Canadian technology company that manufactures service robotics platforms and applications for personal assistance. The company is headquartered in Boisbriand, Quebec, Canada.